THE LAB GROWN DIAMOND
Thanks to the mastering of a leading-edge technology, the human being is able to reproduce the perfect natural conditions in favor of the stone's growth. The lab grown diamond, also called synthetic diamond or man-made diamond, is a diamond which has the exact same physical, chemical and optical characteristics as mine diamond.
ONE OF A KIND STONE
Exactly as in nature, each lab grown diamond has its own growing path and thus develops its unique inclusions. At the heart of each stone sits its unique identity reported by the gemological laboratory certificate.
THE 4Cs COMPREHEND A GEMOLOGICAL CERTIFICATE
The 4Cs standing for Carat, Color, Clarity and Cut represent the universal convention to determine the quality of a diamond:
- CARAT : Carat is a weight unit for Gemstones, 1 carat weighs 0.2 g.
- COLOR : Color of the diamond is graded on a scale from D (colorless) to Z (yellow to brown colors). The colorless diamonds being the most precious. DFLY proposes only diamonds graded from the color D to H. The diamonds with pink, blue, red…colors are called “Fancy Colors” and are graded on a different scale.
- CLARITY : Purity, each stone develops more or less internal and external inclusions during its growth. Often invisible to the human eye, these characteristics are graded on a scale starting from F/IF (Flawless/Internally Flawless) to I3 (Included 3). DFLY proposes only stones graded from IF to VS (Very Small inclusion).
- CUT : Cut is the sole quality of the 4Cs that only relies on human eye, three criteria prevail : polish, symmetry and proportions of the stone. Above all, Cut is critical, a perfect symmetry for instance guarantees an optimum shininess.
DFLY stands for a transparent market. All the stones beyond 0.30 carat get a laser printed ID number allowing their identification.
THE LAB GROWN DIAMOND : TWO MANUFACTURING PROCESSES
- CVD : Chemical Vapor Deposition. The most recent technology.
- HPHT : High Pressure High Temperature